Monday, December 05, 2005

8: LA

I am back from a wonderful trip to California.

Scrolling: ...

First, the business school part. I visited UCLA. Although I had planned to apply there even before the visit, now I am even more convinced. The essay questions are a bit weird though.

UCLA Anderson students are pretty people. Even the prospectives were mostly good looking. The students are also a fun-loving, carefree bunch, at least the ones present in the class I attended. They all managed to smile, laugh and crack jokes in a class on a boring, mind-boggling subject. Reminded me of high school. The girls' clothing was quite varied - it ranged from pants that had a good cut and fit well coupled with a nice top and a quality cashmere sweater to white tee, fleece and jeans. Only one student had a Mac. The buildings were sparkly squeaky clean inside. There was a big lawn nearby, with lots of sunshine. And a cafe with lots of fireplaces.

Second, the leisure part. Drove from LA to SF. Got drunk and did some gymnastics on the BART. Next afternoon, took the Pacific Coast Highway back to LA. That was nice, nice, nice. Stopped at Carmel (governed by Clint Eastwood at some point, I think)on the way. Desginer shops, rich people, pampered dogs. It got dark on the way, which made it even more fun. I felt as if I was in outer space, no signs of humanity for miles, just the vast, dark ocean.

Decided to stop at Santa Barbara, since we weren't going make it to LA before the clubs closed. The music in Santa Barbara clubs was really to my taste, especially at this place called Madison. The waitresses were sweet too. Continued to LA, reached home and dropped dead.

Woke up next morning, hit the Walt Disney Concert Hall, MoCA, Schindler House, Pacific Design Center, Urth Cafe, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Promenade, The Grove and a club called Here.

Uh, I don't feel like writing any more essays.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Madisons....oh the nights I spent dancing on the bar at that place in my college days...Sometimes I really miss the SB days.

BART has no THE in front of it ;)

How are the apps coming along?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

The "the" debate is pretty heated between the nor-cal and so-cal people. BART is only one of the issues, there is also one of MUNI, as well as highway names. LA inhabitants like to throw in "the" infront of everything. "Take the 280 to the 405, because the BART won't take you to LA" AHHHHHHH!

I did say "ON" the bar, it was the only way to dance for college girls. UCSB does its best to uphold the University of Casual Sex and Beer reputation.

Good idea on a well deserved break!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Less then a week now! My biggest worry is how am I going to manage in a skirt suit in this freezing weather???

No bugging at all on the Anserson essay. I am surprised I still remember what number one was all about. Of course I have no clue if I interpreted it the right way or not but the gist of my writing was as follows:

opening paragraph about family moving to the US

paragraph about Dad, his struggles in the new country, his dedication, and the qualities of his that I carry wiht me

paragraph about mom, her high education and inability to be all she could be because she is a woman back in Russia, and how that makes me want to go above and beyond

paragpaph about younger brother and shared passion for tennis

short story about a little tennis business the two of us had as kids

closing


That is probably way more info then you wanted :)

9:53 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I'll have to toughen up I guess. You would think that growing up in Moscow I would know the definition of "freezing", but you get spoiled pretty fast by the CA weather. Just wait till you are at Anderson :)

I thought the hard part of that essay was making all the paragraphs flow together.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Perhaps I will make a point to list a new stupid question in each post. I bet the book, if compiled, would be a best seller!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I emailed my resume to the interviewer, or rather his admin, when I was setting up my interview because the COlumbia site said that it was my responsibility to provide the interviewer with my CV.

Date 1 was scheduled for tonight, but the boy is ill so we might have to reschedule. Unfortunate =/

9:07 PM  
Blogger i_will_make_it said...

That is crazy how you went to LA up to SF and then back down to LA. Just driving one way already gives me a headache, and you went round trip. I give you props. :-)

Good luck with your apps! Thanks for your encouraging note too.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

wow indeed. i am in shock. i am still in denial about getting invited to interview

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home