Saturday, November 12, 2005

7: Wish

I wish I could read all applicants' "goals" essays before applying to bschool.

Scrolling: Doris Days - To Ulrike M. (original mix)

My computer seems tired. There is a lag between my pressing a key and the alphabet appearing on the screen. I just typed a whole sentence, but it hasn't shown up on the screen, oh wait, here it is! Phew!

I wish I could read about other people's goals because I can't find one of my own. I can't find one that I like. One that I'll stick to. I think of something, feel thrilled about it, start to type it up and then it doesn't come out well.

I don't feel like going to business school. Finance, economics, strategy, marketing, accounting, statistics, operations etc. So boring and so futile. I have a new goal now and they won't help. I want to meet people from another planet. Of course, I might not stick to this goal and go back to my earlier goal of running the Red Cross.

Looking back, I've always hopped goals. In middle school, I wanted to be a magician. After that, for a long time, I didn't have a goal. Then I wanted to write a new Operating System. Didn't last long. New goal: Make a new microprocessor. Too hard. After that I started thinking more down to earth, more practical. Instead of the destination, I started thinking about the journey. I started thinking about career paths. I chose a hardcore engineering path. Couldn't take it. Diversified into making omelets. Seemed interesting for a while but then I thought "what's the point?". Then tragedy struck - the hurricanes, the floods, the earthquake. I decided to make it my goal to help other people. Business school will teach me how to run the Red Cross. I don't feel like doing that either.

I am selfish. I want to enjoy my time here, not spend it helping others. Although I don't want to be here. I want to be on some other planet with some other people. I want to launch myself into space and get lost. Then I can just sleep or look. Look out of the window into space. I have been dreaming a lot these days and the dreams are amazing. I think they'll be even better if I am lost in space.

It's weird that I am thinking of space travel and extraterrestrial intelligence because I used to despise all that. I had no interest in all the balls floating around us or any of NASA's missions. Now I envy Neil Armstrong. Now I think it is better to read his recently published biography "First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong" than write bschool essays. From David Copperfield to Neil Armstrong.

What I am really cut out for is an 8 AM to 5 PM job with an hour for lunch and weekends off. Come home and watch Seinfeld followed by Everybody Loves Raymond. Eat and drink. Have sex. Sleep. Die.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I was a biology major for two years, convinced that I wanted to be a physician like the rest of my family. That Organic CHem sure kicked my ass though, and made me rethink that path. I am still not sure how I ended up being an accountant though!

SFO is an airport - so no they don't have an H&M :) But SF is getting one in only 3 days!

So why the familiarity with the heels? Did you sport them yourself?

5:53 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

My application for CBS went under review on October 17th, so I figure I still have about 5.5 weeks according to their site to get called for an interview. Crossing my fingers for both of us!

Did you apply to Wharton as well?

I am tyring to break free of the heels habbit by wearing more flat shoes - but its just SO hard

10:06 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I think you are totally right about the "Application Under Review" status. For all we know nobody has even touched ours yet - though I would think that they do it in order. I also saw another post on BW about somebody's acceptance email 2 weeks after the application going complete. The adcom told this person that the reason for the delay was that the person reviewing their file was on vacation during that time. Basically there can be MANY bottlenecks in the process.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you!

I am a little tempted to jump on top of my desk, but it is month end close and everyone is in an evil mood. Thye just wouldn't understand.

I cannot wait to get out of Finance!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

3:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really honest post.

Wish i cud also be as honest as u are. Always hav to put up external appearances for b-school admissions. Tell u what, It really SUCKS.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home